Tuesday, August 31, 2010

8/31/10

For those of you who are new to the blog, please keep in mind that I am not suggesting you eat like I do. I know my habits are not the norm. However, maybe you will see a recipe or see some patterns in my eating, that help you on your quest to be more healthy.

That being said, my diet is not perfect. I do try to eat 10 servings of vegetables most days, and I try to eat the least amount of processed food possible. I am able to work in a moderate amount of "junk food," and still feel great...no hunger or feelings of deprivation.

I had a friend ask why I don't eat the egg yolks. Yolks are good for you. They contain lots of B vitamins, iron, and protein. I do not prefer the flavor of yolks, so I choose to dump them down the drain and save my fat and calories for things I do like. Each egg yolk contains about 4 grams of fat and 50 calories (the white has the remaining 20 calories). Both the yolk and the white contain protein. I would rather have egg whites on my salad and use my calories for the diced avocado that I adore.

Life is full of choices. My key to feeling satisfied at each meal, is to weigh what is important to me. I like the flavor of balsamic vinegar, but I don't miss the olive oil. Therefore, I dress my salads with straight vinegar and bank my calories for something I really want.

Here's what I ate today:

8:00am: Zip Fizz with 1 liter of water (10 cal)

9:30am: 4.5 servings of broccoli topped with 1/4 avocado (205 calories)

11:00am: Zip Fizz with 1 liter of water (10)...I'm blitzing my house...I'm on a roll and want to
keep it going!!!

2:30pm: 1 hour on my elliptical at home. My machine says I burned 1,000 calories...I know better. It's probably closer to 700 calories.

3:30pm: I'm quite hungry by now, so I make
myself a salad...much like dinner last night:
3 cups mixed greens, 1 serving of lasagna (I dump the noodles and eat
just the cheeses and sauce as a condiment for the salad),
I add 1/2 cup cottage cheese to the salad for a protein boost)
I top off the salad with 1/4 avocado (300 calories total)
After the salad, I'm still hungry and I eat the following layered concoction:
1 cup corn Chex, 1/2 cup cheerios, 1 serving cottage cheese, 1/2 diced
banana, 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed, 1 tsp brown sugar, 15
peanuts and 15 raisins (400 calories)

4pm: Coke Zero (Still working on the house!)

7pm: Salad...just like lunch, but with 1/3 cup of peas added (340 calories)
I also eat 2 pieces of bread with 1/4 avocado (270 calories)
I finish the meal with 1/2 banana, 15 peanuts and 15 raisins (146 calories)

I'll finish the evening with a protein shake for an addition 90 calories..recipe in previous posts

Total for the day = 1,771

1 comment:

Christi Macy said...

Love you and I think you are insane in the membrane! Your house looks amazing.....good job!