Tuesday, August 17, 2010

TMI for 8/17/10

5:30am: I can't sleep, so I mix up my Zip Fizz and hop on the elliptical machine for 50 minutes and then stretch for 5.

7:30am: Big bowl of steamed broccoli, 1/2 avocado, 5 egg whites. I'm leaving for work and won't be snacking again for about 5 hours...the extra 1/4 avocado should help tide me over. I don't measure the broccoli, but it's probably 3-4 servings worth. May as well get it in right now!

Noon: I'm hungry after working and eat a nectarine until I can get home and eat some protein.

12:30: I'm hungrier than I thought...more than I like to be. I eat 6oz of rotisserie chicken (I carefully blot off the abundant oil with paper towels...I'm in it for the protein). 1 serving of baked potato chips from Trader Joe's, a handful of blueberries and three strawberries. 1/2 cup milk, 2 pieces of bread and 1 tbsp butter.

Lunch is actually too big of a meal...I don't usually wait that long to eat. Ideally, eating every 3 hours keeps my blood sugar from tanking. Between the meal and the two 6 hour nights of sleep, I'm beat. I take a nap.

3:30: The last nectarine is calling my name, so I oblige. I tend to crave what I have at my house. If I keep healthy stuff I stay on the right track. My husband and kids would love to have cookies and candy and chips around all of the time, but I simply don't buy it regularly. I start to crave things I don't even like, if they are around long enough. Self-restraint is easier when I'm at the store!

7:30pm: We've been at a barbecue for a while, and I'm finally loading a plate. I'm pretty hungry! I eat about 8oz of chicken. It's a little bland, so I dip it in ketchup and mustard. I take small portions of homemade corn and bean salsa and a small portion of yummy vegetable frittata. I keep side dishes to about 2 TBSP each. I do load my plate with my lime-dressed salad. I go back for a second helping of the salad and another TBSP each of both side dishes. I eat a few handfuls of blueberries and a few pieces of watermelon as well.

8:45: Back at home and still a touch on the hungry side. I've given my dinner time to rest. I don't like to eat too much at once, as it takes 20 minutes for hunger signals to turn off. At this point, I can tell I need something more. I eat a taro roll a friend made (yummy! They are soft and sweet and fresh...if you've been to a Luau in Hawaii, you've had them, but they are not as good as the ones Bonita makes). I also eat a cup of Wheaties mixed with a cup of blueberries and 1 percent milk. Still hungry, so I have a second bowl. Now I feel great. I'm not full, but I'm not hungry anymore either. Perfect!

2 comments:

bontovi said...

hmm... ingredients in those rolls... not so healthy:) 1 egg, 1 cup poi, 1 cup sugar, 5 cups flour, salt, yeast, 1/2c butter and water. Any way you can change up the recipe to make it healthier? we have them often in our household, so a healthier version would be nice;).

bontovi said...

btw.. what is Wheaties?